Security Bulletin: Thefts on Campus
Over the past couple of weeks we have had an increase in thefts on campus. These have included bike thefts, thefts from parked cars, and thefts from a storage unit. There are no distinguishing patterns. The incidents have occurred during daytime and evening hours. Currently we have no suspect descriptions.
In an effort to increase the safety and security of the campus and the surrounding areas we would like to share some information and safety suggestions regarding these recent events.
We have increased both foot and vehicle patrols. Contact Security to report any suspicious persons. Do not confront them.
We ask for your help in making the campus as safe as possible by taking the following steps:
- Do not walk alone on or around campus after dark. Call x4701 for a security escort if necessary.
- Lock and secure your vehicle when you park.
- Do not leave valuables or packages in plain view in your vehicle.
- Report to Security individuals who “tailgate” or enter secure buildings and restricted areas without keys or the proper credentials by slipping in behind someone else.
- Always be aware of your surroundings and the people around you, day and night.
- Trust your instincts. If someone or something makes you feel uneasy, get out or get away.
- If you feel you are being followed, move to a well populated or lighted area or building.
If you need emergency help, call x5000 on campus (626-395-5000 if you are off campus), or call 911.